Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween Hater?



Halloween



It’s Halloween week and I have something very shocking to confess. I don’t like Halloween. Is this like saying, “I don’t like puppies?” I fear that it is. And, for the record, I do love puppies. I just don’t like Halloween. I don’t like scary movies, I don’t like ghoulish décor and I don’t like dressing up in costumes. Halloween’s one redeeming feature for me is candy. I do like candy.

Each year I must resist the persistent efforts of others to get me to dress up. It is assumed, even by those who know me well, that because I’m creative I should adore the costumed festivities and unfettered expressive freedoms that accompany Halloween. I don’t. I like my own clothing. I find costumes binding, bulky, awkward and cumbersome.



One of my two sisters called me this year and said, “Hey, you know what would be fun??? It would be so fun if this year, the three of us dress up as penguins!! Won’t that be cute and fun!?” My answer was, “Yes, it will be very cute and fun if you two dress up as penguins.” Each year, when people ask me what costume I’m wearing, I tell them I’m a Gap mannequin and then I strike a pose.

Weezy and The Swish


Siggy, Laura, Bryan, Me, Ari

Our guest this week was actor/comedian, Bryan Callen. Very smart, very funny guy. For video highlights, click below. And/or listen to the entire show at weezyandtheswish.com.




Comedy Nights

I’m learning that Halloween is historically a madcap event in Santa Barbara. They begin celebrating very early. As early as last Thursday night. This video will serve as evidence…




This Thursday, at Comedy Nights: Santa Barbara, Bryan Callen will be our headliner at Bricks, 509 State Street and the Halloween antics should still be in full effect. And as much as I don’t like wearing costumes, I am a costume voyeur and I do enjoy video blogging those who wear them.

YoungBloods of Comedy


Jake T., Adrian, Me, Joel, Devon, Rory, Tyler


Click above to see YoungBloods of Comedy Highlights



TylerConnaghan is one of the finest young comedians in our YoungBloods of Comedy teen standup program (see top photo). At only 12 years of age, Tyler was recently cast by my podcasting co-host Laura Swisher to star in an online comedy sketch for AOL’s hot Gold Rush campaign. This is hilarious. Laura wrote it. Listen for her voice and enjoy Tyler Connaghan in…
Celebutante PSA.