Monday, June 11, 2007

Long Distance Podcasting Relationships


My podcasting partner, Laura Swisher has moved to San Francisco. Laura makes up "The Swish" portion of our podcast title, "Weezy & The Swish." She has taken a job at C-Net, where you can watch her streaming videos daily at TV.com.

Laura and I make an lovely podcasting team and we care very much for one another, but long distance podcasting is not the same. We call her and we spend some time on the phone catching up and sharing a laugh. However, Laura is often distracted and busy and I very much want her to be able to get on with her new life.

Meanwhile, in the studio, I've tried to fill the void by seeing other podcasting partners. It's pleasant and it briefly dulls the ache, but then they leave and I'm left alone once again, living with the loss of Laura.


The Swish and Weezy, in happier times.

They say that at a time of grief, we are not supposed to make large life-altering decisions. So, although I am "spending time" with other podcasters, we will not change the name of our show, "Weezy & The Swish." We instead, will just change the punctuation... to "Weezy, and The Swish?" This leaves a precious space for hope and although life continues to hurdle forward, blazing new paths of joy and discovery, the familiar shall remain a fond and sweet longing.

Podcasting Guest-Hosts

Our Guest-Swish for the past two weeks has been the brilliant, Brett Gilber. Brett is a Renaissance Man of sorts. He's a Comic/Actor/Artist/Surgeon. I'm not sure if he's liscenced for the surgery but he has pierced and he will likely pierce again.


Guest Engineer, Kevin, Me, Brett and Tom Clark

This week's guest was Comedian, Tom Clark. Last week, Brett and I welcomed two great young comics to the podcast... Taylor Williamson and Clinton Pickens. (see top photo) Both were lively programs.

Brett drew this sketch of Laura and I and then took a photo of it so that you can see it below...


What's happening here? Is there a stake in my heart?
Two of my favorite photos appear below. First you'll see Brett, posing at Rocks Cafe in Santa Barbara with a Dirty Dancing fan so devoted, she tattooed the image of Patrick Swayze onto her back.

Note that Brett's face exhibits the same degree of glee as that of another recent Podcast Guest Host, Shawn Pelofsky when posing in Afghanistan with an oblivious, buffet grubbing President Clinton.

Comedy Nights

At Bricks, 509 State Street, Santa Barbara, we have busted many butts, including our own, to move the stage out of the window and into a more comedy friendly, central location, complete with back drape and spotlights. The results are stunning as is comedian Isaac Giron, pictured below.


Come to Bricks on Thursday Nights and see for yourself.

Kids Comedy Club

Check out our latest video installment of Kid Comedian Highlights




Comedy vs. Karaoke
Which is funnier. You decide. It's a smackdown as Comedy takes on Karaoke in Orange County at Martini Blues.




My Shortest Video Ever

It's called "Two Things That Are Large." It however, is small, coming in at 17 seconds.

Happy Tenth Birthday, Jakey!
Have a beautiful week and life, Love, Weezy

5 Comments:

Blogger Chase Roper said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Chase Roper said...

Wow. I had a hard time finding the comment button.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time adjusting to the change. I am one of those "creatures of habit" so when something I'm used to changes on me, its rough.

Let me just say that this reminds me of when I first got married. I had a hard time adjusting to the fact that my best friend and I would be seeing MUCH less of each other and I think I even went through a little bit of grieving process over loss of that close friendship as we moved apart. But what I didn't realize is that my marriage was going to take my life to amazing new levels that I couldn't have ever imagined. I'm confident that this is what you have to look forward as well.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weezy, have you considered talking to Laura about changing the time the podcast to recorded? Preferably to a time that is more considerate of her schedule. Also, you should try calling her before you start the podcast. You guys always seem to catch her off guard and she has to switch phones or talk over really loud noise. If you worked off of that stuff out before you started recording I'm sure the change wouldn't be that hard to cope with.

12:10 AM  
Blogger zb said...

I want to know how the Siwsh feels about all of this before we change the name of the podcast to "Weezy and the Swish?". Will it insult her or does she even care anymore?

12:14 AM  
Blogger Louise Palanker said...

Thank You for your thoughts and yes, Laura and I have discussed this at length.

This is what she wants and the decision was arrived at together.

Changing the time won't put Laura back in the room with us and spending two hours on the phone is just not all that fun when you're trying to have a social life in a new city.

Keep your suggestions coming, let me know which guest co-hosts you like and we will figure out the best future for the show.

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home