Monday, August 22, 2005

Girls' Night and Raising Comedians




GIRLS' NIGHT
Sunday night my friends Deb and Fini came over. We ate Terra Chips, pizza and drank rum and coke. We talked about men, politics, traffic tickets, traffic accidents, men, comedy, religion, men and then Deb reached for the magic eight ball. We often reach for the magic eight ball. Please don't blame the rum and coke. We are usually sober when we reach for the magic eight ball. It's very ritualistic. The answer doesn't matter as much as the way in which you phrase the question because that is what reveals what the soul desires. If you're wondering what questions we posed to the magic eight ball, "ask again later."
GEOFF
Tonight I had dinner with Geoff Wurm and his parents, Danny and Shan. Geoff is 15 and he's grown about three inches this summer. We've known each other since Geoff was 10 and he walked into my comedy class at the West Valley Boys and Girls Club. Since then, Geoff's life has been tragic and beautiful and everything in between. At 12, the very painful events in Geoff's world pulled him towards the very wonderful parents who needed him as much as he needed them. He was officially adopted at 13 and together Geoff, Danny and Shan are growing and learning and discovering and everything else amazing.

I hadn't seen Geoff since, I think it was May when we both performed stand-up comedy at an outdoor festival in Santa Barbara. I knew it would be dangerously traumatic. I've done outdoor events. I understand that no one will be paying attention. I didn't want Geoff, at the very vulnerable age of 15, subjecting himself to this level of rampant indifference. But he really wanted to do it. Throughout the long day, we both went up about four or five times each, on two different stages. The hot dogs were a more popular attraction. (in fairness to us, the hot dogs were kosher) Geoff was disillusioned and he promptly quit comedy.

Adult or child, Geoff Wurm is the most natural comedian I've ever known. Will he come back to comedy? Everyone tells me that he will and of course I have a preference and an opinion. But he has to make his own choices. What matters most is that he has a home where he's loved, he's happy and he's safe to make those choices. More importantly, Thursday, I'm taking him to see "The 40 Year Old Virgin" and that, I believe, is the definition of friendship.

Above, please enjoy pictures of Fini, Deb and I, Geoff's opening act at the Santa Barbara Jewish Festival, Jazz Plus and Geoff Wurm.

1 Comments:

Blogger Louise Palanker said...

Thank you, John. That's a nice thing to say.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home